Saturday 17 May 2014

Scorcher

Its a sweltering Saturday in England. The temperature is  nearly in the 70s and has been predicted to be in the 80s tomorrow.  I have been in the garden tending to my plants. In fact its so hot I have taken to indoors until it cools down a tad.

   A few weeks ago I planted some vegetables.

I planted corn, red kidney beans, potatoes and cauliflower. little by little, I have seen signs of life emerging. I always find planting things fascinating.

When I was a child my dad was an excellent vegetable grower. When he would go out into the garden I would always follow him. I showed such keen interest. He eventually gave me my own patch to plant what I wanted. Even though he is not here any more, my love of gardening has been sown and has growing ever since.

  I am also enjoying the flowers in my garden, the colours I am seeing are really beautiful. When we moved to our house nearly 3yrs ago we inherited a lot of the last owners plants. The first year I left everything were it was, this gave me an idea of what plants were perennial annuals evergreens etc. The next year lots of moving or simply taking out plants that were not my taste. My mum and  my sister benefited and appreciated from the plants I no longer needed. I miss my garden from my last house, but not the work it was far to big to maintain. This garden is a lovely size and a happy family space.
 
  I have been so doing so many crafts at the moment, due to me having to take things easy what with being pregnant. I fancied a little sewing, I do not do much has I am not that confident. What inspired me to get the sewing machine out was a pink floral bag I brought from a charity shop. looks like it was made by someone at home. I loved the simplicity of the design yet its so strong for carrying my groceries.


  I hate a cupboard full of  plastic carrier bags and So thought I would have a go at copying the bag,  so now i got two nice strong bags and am being good to to the environment bonus!
 Hope you all are have had a good week, and enjoying the weekend. Make it a crafty one, i love seeing what you all been making xx

P.S before I go does anyone know what this shrub is please ?

18 comments:

  1. Planting seeds is a great step of gardening as you can see it growing in your home. But planting them in the garden is such fun.
    Vegetables and flowers!! Great for all the family.
    I like very much your polka dot bag...
    Miss :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you've made a wonderful start on your garden and on sewing. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy, took a while to get going and what with the weather x

      Delete
  3. Your plants and garden are coming along a treat Joy, well done, it really comes across in your writing how much you are in your element when speaking garden - your Dad gave you a great start didn't he! We have so much to thank our parents for - some things we don't even realise until many years later .. .. ..
    You're doing well with your sewing too - I like your new bags and it's always such a good thing to consider the environment in our daily lives.
    Keep well and take care, love, Joy xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy, I always look forward to your comments x

      Delete
  4. Cute eco friendly bags and wonderful work in the garden.. Looks great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've made a great job of that bag Joy. Pottering in the garden is so relaxing, isn't it? Hope you're taking it easy too. Take care XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzanne, thanks I enjoyed making the bag and definitely taking things easier. Finding it hard because im such a active person x

      Delete
  6. Your veggies look outstanding friend!!! And you are so right....it is so wonderful to watch them all grow! I loved the story about your dad. It reminds me such much of my pop. And our garden is a manageable size too...makes things cozy and fun! And your bag is fantastic!!! So glad you found my blog so that I can journey along with you! Here is to a great week!!! Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad I found your blog too and yours is really amazing x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your noticeboard, you've reminded me to do one myself, thanks!
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, you will have to show me how yours turns out x

      Delete
  9. Love your bag, it's super cute! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, and I love your blog x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi thanks for dropping into my blog today, I have really enjoyed mooching around yours and enjoying your crafty makes. The bag is so useful and pretty. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks glad you like my blog x

    ReplyDelete